Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I'm looking for the pine tar...

My new assignment has put me further south of the gnat line here in Georgia, and it can present its own challenges. Just the other day I had an older gentleman stop me to ask "where do you keep pine tar?"

"Pine tar?"

"yes."

"Pine tar? hmmm... let me see if I can find out for you."

So I went and grabbed the nearest manager and asked "have you ever heard of us carrying pine tar?"

"PINE TAR??? no, we've never had pine tar."

"Hmmmm..."

(finding someone else in the store to ask...)

"Hey, you've got to help me. There's a gentleman out here and he is insisting that we have pine tar and he wants me to show him where it is, and I have no idea why he would expect us to have pine tar!"

She goes out with me and asks the guy again...

"Sir, can I help you?"

The gentleman answers, indicating what he is looking for...

"Oh," she says, "yes sir, pint jars are right over here on aisle 10."

2 comments:

The Wileyman said...

Bro! You've returned!


Your story reminds me of the one my great-aunt tells of the time a man came into the family general store.

"Do you have any batchies?" he asked.

She had never heard of "batchies," of course, so she tried to get him to explain in more detail what he was looking for.

The man became more and more frustrated that she didn't know what "batchies" were, until finally he exclaimed, "Batchies! You know, like you put in a flashlight!"

I don't remember if she had any batteries to sell him or not.

The Heart said...

Good to see you online again!!