Tuesday, October 07, 2008

James Fallows saved my Earpiece

A few months ago I bought a Motorola Bluetooth headset for my phone. I had it a couple of weeks before I absent-mindedly put it through an entire wash cycle in the pocket of my blue jeans. For a few months, I set it aside in its original packaging as I thought it was hopelessly defunct.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when James Fallows, a writer for the Atlantic Magazine, and renowned technophile, wrote an web article about sending his USB Drive through a complete wash and dry cycle. After some advice from a friend, he procured some WD-40 and bathed the drive in the liquid. The result -- the drive came back to life!

So I thought it would be worth a try myself. I pulled the earpiece out and sprayed it in WD-40 and left it to air dry for a day while I was at work. The next day I came in and plugged it in and -voila - it started to charge! (after months of not working!!!) After it charged I turned it on, and bing, it connected to my phone, and I am now happily using my earpiece. Just goes to show that reading the Atlantic will not only make you more cultured, better informed, but also a safer driver.

No comments: