Sunday, May 28, 2006

Theoretical Memories

Yesterday I was driving into work and Blues Traveler's "Run Around" hurtled intself inperceptively against my trusty Volvo Station Wagon via FM radio frequency, traveled through my radio antenna, and blurted itself out through my vehicle's multi-channel stereo system (I would go into more detail about the exact equipment used, but I really am not into promoting stereo types....). This song was popular probably around ten years ago now, and I think it is pretty catchy and offered such profound lyrics as this:

"But I know no matter what the waitress brings, I shall drink it and always be full
Yeah, i will drink it and always be full."

It was fun to think back on those theoretical memories of how this song connected me to a time and an era. Time travel can be fun to think about in the abstract sense sometimes. Meanwhile, I was snapped back into the present-day world by a Memorial Day Blowout Sale commercial for the local Ford dealership. So I changed the station. Now, it had been a long time since I had heard or even thought about that particular song. Guess what was playing on the next station I turned to. Yeah, Run Around. An interesting coincidence, and further proof that theoretical memories and abstract time travel will always take second place to Actual Dejavu. Vu.

No comments: