These are the top five CDs that I keep coming back to over and over again, consistent with the Douglian and Gabelian philosophy of the top 5.
Tigerlily -- Natalie Merchant

I really like the smoothness of this CD. It is one of those projects where the whole CD sounds like one song, yet not in an annoying way. Good to listen to as background or to enjoy. Has a little jazz flavor to it, sorta. I am a fan of Natalie and also the other 9,999 Maniacs who are now unemployed.
Eponymous -- REM

This has a lot of their early sound which I really like a lot. On songs such as Gardening at Night, the focus is on the sounds that the words make and as such blend into the music. This has a really cool effect. Also just love to listen to this CD when I am just driving around. It has a lot of the early REM/indy/college/underground feel to it.
Best Hits 1980-1990 -- U2

I feel a little inauthentic in putting up a "best hits" CD, but this is one I like a lot. I think it is much better than their 1990-2000 Best of CD. I had to put it up though, because it is one I go back to a lot, even if it does seem "blah."
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou -- Various Artists

My favorite Wes Anderson film, this movie is hilarious if you enjoy subtle humor, sight gags, and irony. The soundtrack is also ironic in that it consists heavily of David Bowie tunes in Portuguese. As you can imagine, the sound is unique, and the soundtrack really makes you remember and enjoy the film every time. But you can also enjoy it even if you haven't seen the movie. Definitely one of my favorites.
Carbon Leaf -- Echo Echo

This is a really great CD, which includes what is probably their biggest hit, The Boxer. These guys are also my favorite band, bar none. Their sound has a twinge of Irish in them, but the band is from Virginia. This particular CD is very high-energy and upbeat, which probably surprises the heck out of some of you. Their wordplay is what I think I like the best about this band. A lot of their lyrics don't necessarily make sense, but they make them sound really cool. I also highly recommend their newest and probably most polished album, Indian Summer, which is another one I listen to frequently. Avoid their early stuff, such as Meander.
No comments:
Post a Comment