Sunday, January 29, 2006

The "Price of a Cup of Coffee"

One of the ways that you know you're out of Yuppieland is by hearing folks who are still there talk about the price of things relative to "a cup" of coffee (i.e. a trip to Starbucks to get a latte). I recently heard a pitch about giving $10, which was related in terms of 2-3 Starbucks visits. However, for my family, $10 is roughly equivalent to 3 pounds of coffee, as Starbucks is only an occasional treat and we usually buy 8 O'clock Coffee off the shelf.

I'm not attacking the use of the language, as it is something that makes intuitive sense, and something that I also grasped immediately. However, in thinking about it later on, it struck me as kind of funny the difference in basic culture. In the International City, I'm sure that most people pay under a buck for their coffee at Burger King.

No comments: