Monday, September 18, 2006

Biblical Prophesies

Right now I am listening to an "Evangelical Leader" speaking about Israel, the Middle East, and American foreign policy. It follows the familar Evangelical playbook that in the latter times Russia teams up with the Arabs to launch an invasion of the tiny nation-state.

It makes me wonder if Harry Truman had been at Yalta, and possibly prevented the Cold War, would the Prophesy still be that Russia was going to do it?

4 comments:

The Brain said...

Maygog isn't Russia. It's Hungary. They even put it on their stamps. Maygar, Maygog, close enough for prophesy. Probably just a dialect difference. Or maybe Malasia. Don't they have a bear as a mascot, too?

Yeah, prophesy people are funny. Reminds me of a time a bunch of them were going over their favorite list of things, and got to whether the US would still be around at the end of times. I asked what they thought about the passage about the eagle falling from the sky and fifty feathers dropping from its tail. They were amazed that they had missed that passage, and proceeded to talk about it ad yawnum, while I just laughed on the inside.

The Wileyman said...

I tend to think that, if the US is still around at the end times, it'll probably play a significant part in all the nastiness that happens. Heck, the prophesies that most people think are referring to Russia could probably refer to the US.

I'm afraid I don't have the time or the inclination to come up with a reasonable interpretation of the text to back that up, though... then again, who said it had to be reasonable?

Persiflage said...

Would be pretty damn cool if that happened while I was here in the Middle East, wouldn't it?

Actually, I'm just kind of sitting here hoping not to get shot or blown up while I'm watching MacDonalds and Walmart do most of the invading. The more western superchains that invade Iraq, I think the less work I'm going to have to do.

i,Sardonicus said...

Jeremy -- are you saying the prophesies referred not to Nation/State America, but to Corporate America?

This could explain a lot...

Walmart and McDonald's are defintely part of the whole Beast scheme if you ask me.